Saturday 5 January 2013

My Secret Life: Aisha Yusuf, Entrepreneur, 33


aisha_3 
My parents are…my mother is my best friend. I developed my entrepreneurial drive from her, because even at 62 years of age, she has hotels in almost all the states in the northern Nigeria  and Dubai. My father is late. He was a real estate developer. He was focused, disciplined and never mistook love for discipline. We all grew up knowing right from wrong at a very tender age. They really played a huge part in what I’m doing today.

The household I grew up in… I grew up in Maiduguri, Borno State. Even though it was a very big house, we were close-knit and were almost always together. I think this was due to the influence of my father.


As funny as it may sound… I wanted to become an air hostess when I was a child, but my mother crushed that dream immediately. I really admire air hostesses, because they travel all the time. Travelling is one of my hobbies.

Childhood memory I cherish… Accompanying my dad to sites. I did look forward to it, because he bought me biscuits and candies, and I had a lot of time to play around.

If I would change one thing about myself… It would be nothing. I believe every mistake we make in life leads us to the exact place where we find ourselves.

You can call it my strength… I see beauty in everything. I did not have training in sewing, perfumery or interior decoration, but once I set my mind to make anything beautiful, it turns out beautiful.

Please don’t get me wrong… I am a child at heart.

The craziest thing I’ve ever done… I bought a house without seeing it.

You may need to know… Aisha doesn’t wear high heels. Not only because I think they are not comfortable, I also think they are very high and I can’t even walk with them.

Fashion to me is… joy, beauty, comfort and convenience. I feel that beauty and fashion should be something that makes you smile. When people see you, they should see your smile.

Believe it or not… when I was very young, I was shy. I hardly speak to people, especially strangers.

I’m a ‘big reader’… I read books and write poems a lot. Some of my poems have been published. ‘Art of War’ by Sun Tzu is the book that changed my life, because it has a lot to teach one about life.

Call it my philosophy… In everything I do, my family comes first – whether it is business or work – because they will be the ones around me at the end of the day.

The happiest day of my life… my wedding day to my husband, Bello Yusuf Malumfashi.

Yes, call it my wish… I wish my children would love me as I love my mother and accord me such respect and awe as I do to her.

Looking at the mirror… I see a wife, a mother and a daughter. I see a lot of my mother in me, as well as in whatever I do. Every business, private, and personal decision I make, I discuss with her and I have no regrets, whatsoever.

My life in seven words… I am committed to what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Blog Archive