Monday 26 November 2012

How A Plumber’s Son Emerges Best Graduating Student at FUTA



Twenty-six-year-old son of a plumber whose mother is also a trader in Iseyin, Oyo State, Mr. Nurudeen Adegoke, has emerged the overall best graduating student at the 24th convocation ceremony of the Federal University of Technology, Akure, on Saturday.

Adegoke, who read Mathematics, shone like a star at the occasion as he won other awards and had to shake hands on different occasions with special guests and other principal officers of the university to receive his prizes.

Here is how he captured his 'road to success' story:
“I really worked very hard. No unserious student can survive the rigour at the Mathematical Science department from where I graduated. I was very prayerful too.
“Right from my first day in FUTA, I was determined, focused and diligent. I was humble too because humility is very essential in anything one is doing. 
“I was at the Osun State College of Technology, Esa Oke, for my Ordinary National Diploma in Statistics. I got direct admission to FUTA, doing everything on my own. 
“My dad is a plumber while my mother is a petty trader. I am really from a humble background. Being the first child of my family, I made up my mind to be serious and hardworking so that I could help my parents in taking care of the academic needs of my younger ones. 
“I always had it at the back of my mind that I must pass very well if I really wanted my certificate to be useful to me and I was always prayerful and focused. 
“I used to get involved in tutorials. I didn’t play with my academics. I am not sure I had any social life because I didn’t want any form of distraction.”

In the chat he had with The Punch, Adegoke advised students to face their academics instead of engaging in activities that would not add value to their main reason of being in the university in the first instance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Blog Archive